THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH SHIELD


Introduction
Mike Bodman, Sunday, 18 April 2010

HISTORY

In 1953 the Duke of Edinburgh Shield was first thought of by Leon Yeates and Shellard of Caulfield Central RSL. 

In 1954, they commenced the contest between Ballarat, Geelong, Caulfield and Caulfield Returned Services.  They were granted this after gaining permission from Anzac House.  Permission was sort from the Royal Family to name the perpetual Trophy "Duke of Edinburgh Shield".  Now 78 Sub-Branches are participating in the Shield, what a remarkable growth, when one considers that more than 1400 bowlers are playing in the Tournament at the same time. 

Since they play the 78 sides at 13 country venues.  one realises the magnitude of this event.  The winner is established by calculation the best winning side from the winning side at each venue. 

The side from Kelior East won the section played at Corowa.

 

BILL MACKIE

Bill Mackie at age of 88 is still participating in the DUKE of EDINBURGH SHIELD although he has reported to say that "This will be his last Shield."  This is quite remarkable seeing this was his twenty consecutive Tournaments.  Well done Bill.

Click on photographs to enlarge


Sunbury Side

Phillip Island Side

Ocean Grove Side

Lakes Entrance Side

Keilor Side Side

Corowa Side
 
 
 

 

 


BViT